What is Social Bookmarking Submission?
Social bookmarking submission in SEO refers to the practice of submitting and sharing website pages, blog posts, articles, images, or videos on social bookmarking platforms. It is a technique used to enhance a website’s visibility, drive traffic, and improve search engine optimization (SEO) efforts.
Here’s how social bookmarking submission works:
- Selection of Social Bookmarking Platforms: SEO practitioners identify relevant and popular social bookmarking platforms such as Reddit, Digg, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, Delicious, and others. These platforms allow users to save, organize, and share web content with others.
- Account Creation: Users create accounts on these social bookmarking platforms to participate in the community and submit their content.
- Content Submission: Website pages, blog posts, articles, images, or videos are submitted or “bookmarked” on the chosen platforms. The submission process typically involves providing a title, description, tags, and a link to the content being bookmarked.
- Categorization and Tagging: The submitted content is categorized under relevant topics or tags to make it more discoverable by other users who are interested in similar topics.
- Sharing and Engagement: Social bookmarking platforms encourage users to explore, discover, and engage with the bookmarked content. Users can vote, comment, and share the bookmarks, increasing the visibility and reach of the content.
Benefits of social bookmarking submission in SEO
- Increased Website Traffic: When bookmarked content receives attention and engagement on social bookmarking platforms, it can drive significant traffic to the website.
- Improved Search Engine Visibility: If the bookmarked content gains popularity and attracts backlinks from other websites, it can positively impact search engine rankings and visibility.
- Enhanced Indexing: Search engine crawlers frequently visit popular social bookmarking platforms, which can lead to faster indexing of bookmarked content.
- Brand Exposure and Awareness: Sharing valuable and interesting content through social bookmarking can help increase brand exposure and awareness among a broader audience.
- Community Engagement: Social bookmarking platforms foster a community of like-minded individuals interested in specific topics. Engaging with this community can lead to valuable connections, feedback, and collaboration opportunities.
However, it’s important to note that the effectiveness of social bookmarking submission for SEO has evolved over time. Search engines now place more emphasis on high-quality, relevant backlinks and user engagement metrics rather than just the quantity of bookmarks. Therefore, it’s crucial to focus on submitting valuable and shareable content that resonates with the target audience and encourages meaningful interactions.
Top 10 Popular Social Bookmarking Sites in 2023
- Reddit: A platform where users can submit and discuss various topics in specific communities known as “subreddits.” It has a massive user base and can generate significant traffic if the content resonates with the community.
- Pinterest: Primarily focused on visual content, Pinterest allows users to bookmark and share images and videos on categorized boards. It is particularly useful for industries such as fashion, food, home decor, and DIY.
- Mix (formerly StumbleUpon): Mix recommends web content to users based on their interests. It allows users to bookmark and discover content from different categories, and it can drive substantial traffic if the content aligns with users’ preferences.
- Digg: Digg allows users to discover and share content from various domains. It covers a wide range of topics, including news, technology, science, and entertainment.
- Delicious: This platform allows users to bookmark and tag web pages for later reference and sharing. It offers features for organizing bookmarks by tags and discovering popular content based on user interests.
- Scoop.it: Scoop.it enables users to curate and share content on specific topics. It has a community of content curators who can help amplify the visibility of bookmarked content.
- Diigo: Diigo combines social bookmarking with annotation and collaboration features. It allows users to highlight, bookmark, and annotate web pages. It can be useful for research-oriented content and collaborative projects.
- Slashdot: Slashdot primarily focuses on news for technology and science-related topics. It allows users to submit and discuss articles, news, and stories.
- BizSugar: BizSugar is a social bookmarking platform specifically designed for small business owners, entrepreneurs, and marketers. It focuses on sharing and discussing content related to business, marketing, and finance.
- Pocket: While Pocket is primarily known as a read-it-later app, it also functions as a social bookmarking site. Users can save articles, videos, and other web content to view later and share them with others.
Please note that the popularity and effectiveness of social bookmarking sites may change over time, so it’s always a good idea to research and evaluate the platforms based on your specific target audience, industry, and content type.